MUMBAI – A fan of Virat Kohli, who had attempted self- immolation on Friday after the Men in Blue skipper was dismissed in the first innings of the Test against South Africa, has died in central India.
Babulal Bairva, 63, from Madhya Pradesh, a retired railway employee, had set himself on fire after Kohli got out for five runs during the first innings of the first Test against South Africa at Newlands in Cape Town.
The ex-serviceman poured kerosene on himself and set himself on fire, suffering 15% burn. He was rushed to a nearby hospital after the incident.
A local police official told Hindustan Times that Babulal succumbed to his injures on Tuesday morning.
He was watching the match on television and got disturbed when Virat Kohli was caught behind the wickets on a bouncer delivered by Morne Morkel, and took the extreme step, the newspaper reported.
His relatives said that he was alone in the room when he took the step, following which people rushed to his help.
The victim gave the police the same version, but they are investigating all possible aspects of the case.
The match was effectively over in three days with Sunday washed out as 18 wickets fell in 64 overs on day four on a seamer-friendly Cape Town wicket and South Africa won the match by 72 runs.
Set 208 for victory, India were bowled out for 135 in under 43 overs.